Skip to Content
Free Consultation 225-777-8853

Hurt outside the state? You can still pursue a claim


Since you live nearby to Florida, you decided to take a trip from your home state of Louisiana and head down south to more tropical weather. Unfortunately, while you were there, another driver suddenly slammed into the side of your vehicle.

This left you in the hospital for much of your vacation, and you now have to think about how you’re going to get back to work. You made it home, but you have significant medical bills and have missed out on your entire vacation.

What should you do if you’re injured outside your home state?

If you are injured when you’re on vacation, it’s important for you to remember that you can pursue a claim against the person who harmed you. Like with any other personal injury case, you have a right to hold them accountable for the injuries that they caused as well as the costs associated with them.

When you’re hurt in another state, make sure you call the police and get copies of your medical records. Keep all of this documentation for your attorney in Louisiana, so that they can help you by representing you in a case against the other party.

It may be easier to sue in the state where the injury occurred, but if you’re needing to seek further medical care and treatment in Louisiana, then it makes sense to make a claim with your attorney in your own home state. That way, they’re closer to you, so you can meet with them more regularly. Your attorney can make calls and handle much of the case from Louisiana on your behalf, so that you don’t make unnecessary trips out of state.

You may be able to pursue a claim in your home state if the other party has contacts in Louisiana. For example, if they are also from Louisiana or do business there, then it will be easier to sue them from your location.

This is a complex situation, so it’s worth getting to know your legal rights. With the right information, you’ll be able to pursue a claim and focus on getting the compensation that you deserve for your injuries.

The post Hurt outside the state? You can still pursue a claim appeared first on Joubert Law Firm.

Share To: