Child Support

When a child support agreement is made, they will be based on the specific circumstances of the parents at that time. However, most people experience life changes, which means their situation, income and more may also change. As a result, it is not uncommon for parents to need to modify their child support arrangement.

This can be because they are unable to make the payment in full, or because they don’t receive enough to support the children they have. If you feel as though your current child support agreement needs to be changed, do you know how to make this happen?

If the Other Parent Agrees to Child Support Changes

One of the first things you should do if you have to modify your child support arrangement is to ask the other parent. If they agree to this change, then you can simply ask the judge to approve the terms that have been agreed to. All you will have to do is explain why the changes are needed and the amount that is being changed.

Requesting a Change from the Court for Child Support Payments

If you and the other parent of your child are unable to agree on the modification terms, then you will have to set up a hearing to have the judge modify it. In most cases, it will be necessary to hire an attorney to help with this process. During the hearing, you and the other parent will have an opportunity to argue your case and explain why you believe a certain amount is fair. If this is the option you choose, then you need to make sure that you provide evidence that your financial circumstances have changed since the terms were initially set.

When the child support amount is being modified, you can have it made on a temporary basis or on a permanent one. In most cases, a temporary modification will be necessary in the following situations:

  • A medical or financial hardship that will only be temporary for the parent who is receiving the payment.
  • The inability for the paying parent to pay on a temporary basis due to an illness or some other financial burden.
  • If the child suffered some type of medical emergency.

If you receive a permanent modification from the court, then it is going to remain in effect until the support is no longer ordered or until another modification is made to the agreement.

Why Hire an Attorney for Child Support Modification?

Unfortunately, it can be quite difficult to agree on child support amounts for some parents. If this is the case you are in, then having the help of a professional and experienced child support attorney can be invaluable. This legal representative can help ensure your rights are protected during the process.

If you have questions about child support modifications, you can contact the attorneys at the Joubert Law Firm by calling 225-761-3822.